Back

ⓘ Saksumdal Church. A medieval church in the locality was closed about 1590, possibly located on Gnr 111 about a mile west of the current site. Work on the presen ..




Saksumdal Church
                                     

ⓘ Saksumdal Church

A medieval church in the locality was closed about 1590, possibly located on Gnr 111 about a mile west of the current site. Work on the present church began in 1874 after the site was donated by Anders Hovland for the construction of a chapel. Pedersen and Kristian Svendsrud, a mason and carpenter respectively, started work on the building after other local people made timber and manpower available. The chapel, now referred to as a church, did not have a furnace in its early years as it was lacking a brick flue. It was dedicated on August 26, 1875, by Halvor Olsen Folkestad.

                                     

1. Building

The building has undergone several renovations. Power was added in 1928 and sacristies were built in 1934. It was remodelled again in 1951 and leaded glass windows were added. The pulpit had painted figures of the evangelists added in 1953 and the backs of the church benches were sealed in 1954. Later renovations added a basement, outbuilding and flood lighting. A wheelchair ramp was added in the 1980s.

                                     

2. Interior

The altarpiece was made by Kristian Svendsrud and given to the church as a gift by landowner Anders Hovland. The first organ was installed in 1895 and has now been replaced with a new one.

In the 1980s the altar was adorned with textiles by textile artist Inger Holbo, who also made trade fairs.

In 2000 the church received pictures by visual artist Borgny Farstad Svalastog.