ⓘ Bibliography of Lyndon B. Johnson
The Lyndon B. Johnson bibliography includes major books and articles about President Lyndon B. Johnson, his life, and presidential administration. Kent B. Germany in his review of the historiography noted in 2009 that Johnson has been the subject of 250 Ph.D. dissertations, well over one hundred books, and many scholarly articles. The New York Times and the Washington Post published 7600 articles on him during his presidency. Only a select subgroup are listed here, chiefly those reviewed by the major scholarly journals. Germany emphasizes the decline of Johnsons reputation:The man who was elected to the White House by one of the widest margins in U.S. history and pushed through as much legislation as any other American politician now seems to be remembered best by the public for succeeding an assassinated hero, steering the country into a quagmire in Vietnam, cheating on his saintly wife, exposing his stitched-up belly, using profanity, picking up dogs by their ears, swimming naked with advisers in the White House pool, and emptying his bowels while conducting official business. Of all those issues, Johnsons reputation suffers the most from his management of the Vietnam War, something that has overshadowed his civil rights and domestic policy accomplishments and caused Johnson himself to regret his handling of "the woman I really loved--the Great Society."
1.1. Secondary sources Biographies
- Caro, Robert A. The Years of Lyndon Johnson 4 volumes as of 2012: The Path to Power 1982; Means of Ascent 1990; Master of the Senate 2002; The Passage of Power 2012. The most detailed biography, extends to early 1964.
- Fernlund, Kevin J. Lyndon B. Johnson and Modern America Vol. 25 of The Oklahoma Western Biographies. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 2009. ISBN 978-0-8061-4077-3. Short study of Johnsons career, with an emphasis on Texas and the American West 175 pages.
- Woods, Randall. LBJ: Architect of American Ambition 2006. A highly detailed scholarly biography 1000 pages.
- Dallek, Robert. Lone Star Rising: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1908–1960 1991; Flawed Giant: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1961–1973 1998; also: Lyndon B. Johnson: Portrait of a President 2004. A 400-page abridged version of his 2 volume scholarly biography.
- Lerner, Mitchell B. A Companion to Lyndon B. Johnson 2012, Scholarly essays on all aspects of Johnsons career
- Kearns Goodwin, Doris. Lyndon Johnson & the American Dream 1977. A character study.
1.2. Secondary sources Presidential years
- Bernstein, Irving. Guns or Butter: The Presidency of Lyndon Johnson 1994.
- Divine, Robert A., ed. The Johnson Years. Vol. 2: Vietnam, the Environment, and Science. 1987; essays by scholars
- Finley, Keith M. Delaying the Dream: Southern Senators and the Fight Against Civil Rights, 1938-1965.
- Ellis, Sylvia. Freedoms Pragmatist: Lyndon Johnson and Civil Rights. Gainesville, FL: University Press of Florida, 2013.
- Divine, Robert A., ed. The Johnson Years. Vol. 3: LBJ at Home and Abroad. 1994; essays by scholars
- Bornet, Vaughn Davis. The Presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson. 1983
- Firestone, Bernard J., and Robert C. Vogt, eds. Lyndon Baines Johnson and the Uses of Power. 1988; essays by scholars
- Divine, Robert A., ed. The Johnson Years. Vol. 1: Foreign Policy, the Great Society and the White House. 1981; essays by scholars
- Altschuler, Bruce E.; LBJ and the Polls U Presses of Florida, 1990
- Cross, James U. Around the World with LBJ. 2008, ISBN 978-0-292-71768-8
- Shesol, Jeff. Mutual Contempt: Lyndon Johnson, Robert Kennedy, and the Feud That Shaped a Decade 1997.
- Zarefsky, David. President Johnsons War on Poverty 1986.
- Mann, Robert. The Walls of Jericho: Lyndon Johnson, Hubert Humphrey, Richard Russell, and the Struggle for Civil Rights. 1996.
- White, Theodore H. The Making of the President, 1964 1965.
- Redford, Emmette S., and Marlan Blissett. Organizing the Executive Branch: The Johnson Presidency. 1981.
- Gould, Lewis L. Lady Bird Johnson and the Environment. 1988.
- Lichtenstein, Nelson, ed. Political Profiles: The Johnson Years. 1976. short biographies of 400+ key politicians
1.3. Secondary sources Foreign-policy
- Gavin, Francis J. and Mark Atwood Lawrence, eds. Beyond the Cold War: Lyndon Johnson and the New Global Challenges of the 1960s Oxford University Press, 2014 301 pp.
- Colman, Jonathan. The Foreign Policy of Lyndon B. Johnson: The United States and the World, 1963–1969 Edinburgh University Press, 2010 231 pp. online
- Brands, H. W. The Wages of Globalism: Lyndon Johnson and the Limits of American Power 1997 online
- Andrew, Christopher. For the President’s Eyes Only: Secret Intelligence and the American Presidency from Washington to Bush 1995, pp 307-49.
- Cohen, Warren I., and Nancy Bernkopf Tucker, eds. Lyndon Johnson Confronts the World: American Foreign Policy 1963-1968 Cambridge University Press, 1994
- Preston, Thomas. The President and His Inner Circle: Leadership Style and the Advisory Process in Foreign Affairs 2001 online
- Kunz, Diane B. ed. The Diplomacy of the Crucial Decade: American Foreign Relations During the 1960s 1994 online
1.4. Secondary sources Vietnam
- Turner, Kathleen Jane. The Effect of Presidential-Press Interaction on Lyndon B. Johnsons Vietnam War Rhetoric. Purdue University, 1978
- Casey, Francis Michael. The Vietnam Policy of President Lyndon Baines Johnson in Response to the Theory of the Protracted Conflict as Applied in the Politics of Indochina: A Case Study of Threat Perception and Assessment in the Crisis Management Process of a Pluralistic Society. Claremont Graduate University, 1976
- Goodnight, Lisa Jo. The Conservative Voice of a Liberal President: An Analysis of Lyndon B. Johnsons Vietnam Rhetoric. Purdue University, 1993
- Cherwitz, Richard Arnold. The Rhetoric of the Gulf of Tonkin: A Study of the Crisis Speaking of President Lyndon B. Johnson. University of Iowa, 1978
- Logevall, Fredrik Bengt Johan. Fear to Negotiate: Lyndon Johnson and the Vietnam War, 1963–1965. Yale University, 1993
- Kaiser, David E. American tragedy: Kennedy, Johnson, and the origins of the Vietnam War. Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2000 ISBN 0-674-00225-3
- Schandler, Herbert Y. Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam: The unmaking of a president Princeton University Press, 2014
- Barrett, David Marshall. Advice and Dissent: An Organizational Analysis of the Evolution of Lyndon Johnsons Vietnam Advisory System, 1965–1968. University of Notre Dame, 1990
- Berman, Larry. Lyndon Johnsons War: The Road to Stalemate in Vietnam 1991
- Vandiver, Frank E. Shadows of Vietnam: Lyndon Johnsons Wars 1997
1.5. Secondary sources Historiography
- Germany, Kent B. "Historians and the Many Lyndon Johnsons: A Review Essay" Journal of Southern History 2009 75#4 pp 1001-1028. in JSTOR
- Lerner, Mitchell B. A Companion to Lyndon B. Johnson 2012, 29 scholarly articles with an emphasis on historiography excerpt; also fill text online at Questia
2. Primary sources
- Johnson Lyndon B. The Vantage Point: Perspectives on the Presidency, 1963–1969 1971. LBJs memoirs.
- Barrett David M. "Lyndon B. Johnsons Vietnam Papers: A Documentary Collection" 1997. Documents from LBJ Library and other archives.
- Califano Joseph A., Jr. The Triumph & Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson 1991. By a cabinet member.
- Beschloss Michael R. Taking Charge: The Johnson White House Tapes, 1963–1964 1997. Transcribed recordings of LBJs phone calls.
- Gallup, George H. ed. The Gallup Poll: Public Opinion, 1935–1971, volume 3: 1959–1971 1972. Summary of poll data.
- Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States: Lyndon B. Johnson. All speeches and official statements.
- Smith, Simon C., ed. The Wilson–Johnson Correspondence, 1964–69, Correspondence with British Prime Minister Harold Wilson; a primary source
- Reedy, George, Lyndon B. Johnson: A Memoir 1982, ISBN 0-8362-6610-2. A memoir by the press secretary.
- Avner, Yehuda The Prime Ministers: An Intimate Narrative of Israeli Leadership 2010. Chapter 14, Deep in the Heart of Texas, ISBN 978-1-59264-278-6
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →