ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 6




                                               

Waupun Correctional Institution

On July 4, 1851, Governor Nelson Dewey selected the Waupun area to be the site of the Wisconsin State Prison. A temporary structure opened in 1851. It could hold a maximum of 40 inmates, and was intended to be used only until the completion of a ...

                                               

Burro Mesa Archeological District

The Burro Mesa Archeological District encompasses a quarry in Big Bend National Park used by Native Americans as a source of chert for chipped-stone tools. The quarry was used intermittently beginning in the paleoindian period starting about 12.0 ...

                                               

Hot Springs (Big Bend National Park)

Hot Springs, also known as Boquillas Hot Springs, is a former resort in what is now Big Bend National Park in Texas. They were developed by J.O. Langford from 1909. Langford was a Mississippi native who had contracted malaria as a child. Searchin ...

                                               

Rancho Estelle

Rancho Estelle was the home of James Sublett, one of the first large-scale farmers in the Rio Grande valley of Texas, within what is now Big Bend National Park. Prior to founding the ranch, Sublett and his partner, Clyde Buttrill, farmed the bott ...

                                               

Homer Wilson Ranch

The Homer Wilson Ranch, also known as the Blue Creek Ranch, was one of the largest ranches in the early twentieth century in what would become Big Bend National Park in the U.S. state of Texas. The ranch was established by Homer Wilson in 1929 at ...

                                               

Lamar Buffalo Ranch

The Lamar Buffalo Ranch is a historic livestock ranch in the Lamar River valley of Yellowstone National Park, in the U.S. state of Wyoming. It was created to preserve one of the last free-roaming American bison herds in the United States. The ran ...

                                               

Mammoth Hot Springs Historic District

The Mammoth Hot Springs Historic District in Yellowstone National Park comprises the administrative center for the park. It is composed of two major parts: Fort Yellowstone, the military administrative center between 1886-1918, and now a National ...

                                               

Norris, Madison, and Fishing Bridge Museums

The Norris, Madison, and Fishing Bridge Museums are three "trailside museums" within Yellowstone National Park in the western United States. Built in 1929 to designs by Herbert Maier, they are preeminent early examples of the National Park Servic ...

                                               

Old Faithful Historic District

The Old Faithful Historic District in Yellowstone National Park comprises the built-up portion of the Upper Geyser Basin surrounding the Old Faithful Inn and Old Faithful Geyser. It includes the Old Faithful Inn, designed by Robert Reamer and is ...

                                               

Roosevelt Lodge Historic District

The Roosevelt Lodge Historic District comprises the area around the Roosevelt Lodge in the northern part of Yellowstone National Park, near Tower Junction. The district includes 143 buildings ranging in size from cabins to the Lodge, built beginn ...

                                               

Montauk Point Light

The Montauk Point Light is a lighthouse located adjacent to Montauk Point State Park, at the easternmost point of Long Island, in the hamlet of Montauk in the Town of East Hampton in Suffolk County, New York. The lighthouse was the first to be bu ...

                                               

Civic Centre, Dagenham

The Civic Centre in Dagenham is a former municipal building in Becontree Heath, an area within the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham. The building was designed in the modern style by the British architect E. Berry Webber in 1936 and was open ...

                                               

Weymouth Old Town Hall

Weymouth Old Town Hall is a former town hall at Weymouth, Dorset, England. The building, which was built with Portland stone in the 1770s, has been Grade II listed since 1953. The bell turret is believed to date from the 17th century. Since 2009, ...

                                               

York Fire Station

The York Fire Station is a single-storey red brick building originally constructed for the York Municipal Council as Council Chambers in 1897, in York, Western Australia. Architect Christian Mouritzen. The building is located in the Federation fr ...

                                               

Historic Firehouses of Louisville

The Historic Firehouses of Louisville is a Thematic Resource Multiple Property Submission on the National Register of Historic Places. The submission represents 18 historic fire stations, located in Louisville, Kentucky, which were added to the N ...

                                               

Bishops Palace, Lichfield

The Bishops Palace is a 17th-century building situated in the north east corner of the Cathedral Close in Lichfield, Staffordshire in the United Kingdom. The current building stands on the site of a medieval Palace of the bishops, built in the 14 ...

                                               

Cuddesdon Palace

Cuddesdon Palace was completed by 1634 for John Bancroft, who was Bishop of Oxford from 1632 until 1641. In 1644 during the English Civil War Royalist forces burned the palace to render it unusable by the Parliamentarian forces besieging Oxford. ...

                                               

Eccleshall Castle

Eccleshall Castle is located in Eccleshall, Staffordshire, England. It was originally built in the 13th century. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade II* listed building. The land allegedly granted to the SV. Chad, medieval Bishop of Li ...

                                               

Lincoln Medieval Bishops Palace

The Old Bishops Palace is a historic visitor attraction in the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire. When it was first built, in the late 12th century, it was at the centre of the vast Diocese of Lincoln, which stretched from the Humber to the Thames. T ...

                                               

Rose Castle

Rose Castle is a 16.244 square feet fortified house in Cumbria, England, on a site that was home to the bishops of Carlisle from 1230 to 2009. It is within the parish of Dalston, 1.5 miles from Dalston itself. The architects Anthony Salvin and Th ...

                                               

Farnell Castle

The present castle replaces a previous castle on the site, in existence in 1296. King Edward I of England stayed one night in 1296 at the castle during his invasion of Scotland, before travelling to Brechin Castle. The castle originated as a Bish ...

                                               

Lamphey Bishops Palace

Lamphey Bishops Palace or Lamphey Palace is a ruined medieval building complex in Lamphey, Pembrokeshire and is a scheduled ancient monument which has had Grade I Listed building designation since May 1970. In the past, it has also been known as ...

                                               

Harlakenden

Harlakenden, located in Cornish, New Hampshire, was the residence of American novelist Winston Churchill, and was also the Summer White House of Woodrow Wilson from 1913 until 1915. It was destroyed by fire in 1923.

                                               

Jackson Place

Jackson Place is a Washington, D.C. street located across from the White House and forming the western border of Lafayette Square between Pennsylvania Avenue and H Street, NW, beginning just south of Connecticut Avenue.

                                               

Old Police Station and Courthouse, Coolah

The Old Police Station and Courthouse is a heritage-listed former police station and courthouse located at 74 Binnia Street, Coolah, in the Warrumbungle Shire, New South Wales, Australia. It was designed by the Colonial Architect of New South Wal ...

                                               

Fullerton Post Office

The Fullerton Post Office, better known as the Commonwealth Station, was built in 1939 by the Works Progress Administration, in Fullerton, Orange County, Southern California. Construction costs were.000 and took less than seven months to complete ...

                                               

Newbury Park Post Office

The Newbury Park Post Office was the first post office in the Conejo Valley, established on July 16, 1875, by the valleys first postmaster, Egbert Starr Newbury. The post office was originally located in a tent on the property Newburys, the thous ...

                                               

United States Post Office (Pueblo, Colorado)

                                               

Old Fort Pierce Post Office

The Old Fort Pierce Post Office is a historic building in Fort Pierce, Florida. It was built in 1935 by the Works Progress Administration and designed by architect Louis A. Simon in the Mission Revival Style. As a civic structure it provided the ...

                                               

Miami Beach Post Office

The Miami Beach Post Office is a historic 1937 Art Moderne U.S. Post Office building in Miami Beach, Florida designed by Howard Lovewell Cheney and built under the patronage of the Works Progress Administration during the Great Depression. Cheney ...

                                               

Old Eau Gallie Post Office

The Old Eau Gallie Post Office is a historic U.S. building located at 1596 Highland Avenue, in the Eau Gallie section of Melbourne, Florida. The building was constructed in 1890s of rusticated block and was used as a post office from 1900-1925.

                                               

United States Post Office (Palm Beach, Florida)

The U.S. Post Office at 95 North County Road in Palm Beach, Florida is a historic building. On July 21, 1983, it was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. Main Post Office in Palm Beach, Florida.

                                               

Main Seattle Post Office

The former post office on Third Avenue and Union Street was a "grand Beaux Arts" building with Neoclassical features built from 1903 - 1908 and housed federal offices in addition to the post office. The sandstone used for its construction was por ...

                                               

Bent County Correctional Facility

The Bent County Correctional Facility is a private medium-security prison for men located in Las Animas, Bent County, Colorado. The facility is owned and operated by Corrections Corporation of America under contract with the Colorado Department o ...

                                               

Camino Nuevo Correctional Center

The Camino Nuevo Correctional Center was a womens low-security pre-release prison for incarcerated New Mexico female felons. It was located on the grounds of the New Mexico Youth Diagnostic and Development Center, which houses the most violent yo ...

                                               

Cibola County Correctional Center

Cibola County Correctional Center is a privately owned minimum-security prison, located at 2000 Cibola Loop in Milan, Cibola County, New Mexico. The facility was opened in 1993 in County jail with state inmates, and then was purchased and expande ...

                                               

Idaho State Correctional Center

Idaho State Correctional Center is a state prison for men located in Kuna, Ada County, Idaho, one of a cluster of seven detention facilities known as the "South Boise Prison Complex". The other prisons in the area are the Correctional Alternative ...

                                               

Kit Carson Correctional Center

The Kit Carson Correctional Center was a privately owned, medium-security state prison for men located in Burlington, Kit Carson County, Colorado, owned and operated by the Corrections Corporation of America. The facility housed a maximum capacit ...

                                               

Lake Erie Correctional Institution

The Lake Erie Correctional Institution is a minimum- and medium-security prison for men located in Conneaut, Ashtabula County, Ohio, owned and operated by CoreCivic under contract with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction. The fac ...

                                               

Northeast Ohio Correctional Center

Northeast Ohio Correctional Center is a private medium-security prison for men located in Youngstown, Mahoning County, Ohio, operated by CoreCivic under contract with the United States Marshals Service and the State of Ohio. As of September 2017, ...

                                               

Northwest New Mexico Correctional Facility

The Northwest New Mexico Correctional Facility, formerly the New Mexico Womens Correctional Facility, is a privately owned prison for men, located in Grants, Cibola County, New Mexico. The prison is owned and operated by corrections Corporation o ...

                                               

Guadalupe County Correctional Facility

The Guadalupe County Correctional Facility is a privately owned medium-security state prison for men located in Santa Rosa, Guadalupe County, New Mexico, owned by the Correctional Properties Trust and operated by the GEO Group. The facility has a ...

                                               

Heritage Trail Correctional Facility

The Heritage Trail Correctional Facility is a private minimum-security state prison for men located in Plainfield, Hendricks County, Indiana, operated by the GEO Group under contract with the Indiana Department of Correction. Trail heritage are u ...

                                               

Lea County Correctional Center

The Lea County Correctional Facility is a medium-security prison for men located four miles north-west of Hobbs, New Mexico, opened in 1998 on 60 acres of the former Hobbs Army Airfield, now adjacent to the Lea County Regional Airport. The facili ...

                                               

McPherson Unit

McPherson Unit is a prison for women of the Arkansas Department of Correction, located in Newport, Arkansas, off Arkansas Highway 384, 4 miles east of central Newport. Established in 1998, the prison houses the states death row for women. Group o ...

                                               

Moshannon Valley Correctional Center

Moshannon Valley Correctional Center or Moshannon Valley CI is a federal prison for men located in Philipsburg, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, privately operated by the GEO Group under contract with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. The object beg ...

                                               

North Lake Correctional Facility

North Lake Correctional Facility is a privately owned medium- and maximum-security prison for men located in Baldwin, Lake County, Michigan, operated by GEO Group under contract for the Michigan Department of Corrections. Current capacity of the ...

                                               

Northeast New Mexico Detention Facility

The Northeast New Mexico Detention Facility is a privately operated medium-security state prison for men, located in Clayton, Union County, New Mexico. The facility was financed and is owned by the Town of Clayton. Operator GEO Group houses a max ...

                                               

North Central Correctional Complex

The North Central Correctional Institution is a minimum- and medium-security prison for men located in Marion, Marion County, Ohio, operated by Management and Training Corporation under contract with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corr ...

                                               

Otero County Prison Facility

The Otero County Prison Facility is a privately managed prison for men located in Chaparral, Otero County, New Mexico, operated by the Management and Training Corporation. The facility opened in 2003, and has a capacity of 1420. Otero County is t ...