ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 377




                                               

Helen Miller Gould (schooner)

The Helen Miller Gould was a short lived mackerel fishing schooner. As the first large schooner fitted with an auxiliary engine, she was representative of the shift from sail to engine power.

                                               

History of Acton, Massachusetts

Acton, Massachusetts is a small town west of Boston in an area that has records of human habitation which stretch back 7000 years. Acton citizens had a significant role in the Battle of Lexington and Concord, the prelude to the American Revolutio ...

                                               

History of the Massachusetts Turnpike

An east-west highway for the state of Massachusetts had been planned for many years before the construction of the Massachusetts Turnpike in the 1960s. The highway began construction in 1955, following a southern path eastwards toward Boston from ...

                                               

Round Hill (Dartmouth, Massachusetts)

The first historical description of the hill was by Gabriel Archer, who kept a record of the 1602 expedition of Bartholomew Gosnold from Falmouth, Cornwall to what was then known as Northern Virginia. On May 25, 1602 o.s., the vessel Concord havi ...

                                               

Michigan in the American Civil War

Michigan made a substantial contribution to the Union during the American Civil War. While the state itself was far removed from the combat theaters of the war, Michigan supplied many troops and several generals, including George Armstrong Custer ...

                                               

Clam Lake Canal

The Clam Lake Canal is a man-made.33 miles long canal between Lake Mitchell and Lake Cadillac in Cadillac, Michigan. It was made by George A. Mitchell, the founder of the city of Cadillac, in the 1870s. The main purpose of the man-made canal was ...

                                               

History of Grand Rapids, Michigan

For thousands of years, succeeding cultures of indigenous peoples occupied the area. Over 2000 years ago, people associated with the Hopewell culture occupied the Grand River Valley. Later, a tribe from the Ottawa River traveled to the Grand Rive ...

                                               

Islington Hotel

The Islington Hotel was a family owned and operated lakefront inn located in Cedarville, Michigan in the state’s Eastern Upper Peninsula. Constructed in the late 19th century, the facility lodged and entertained summer guests for more than 60 yea ...

                                               

Quinn, Michigan

The former settlement of Quinn, Michigan, was located in Clinton Township, Macomb County, Michigan on Gratiot past mile marker 16, roughly in the area of 14 Mile and Quinn Road. Quinn Rd. is still a Clinton Township street crossing Gratiot.

                                               

Roman Catholic Diocese of Sault Sainte Marie-Marquette

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Sault Sainte Marie, previously a residential episcopal see of the Roman Catholic Church in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, USA, is now a titular see. Its first and most famous occupant was Ven. Irenaeus Frederic Bar ...

                                               

White Rock, Michigan

White Rock is a tiny unincorporated community of Sherman Township at the southeast corner of Huron County in the U.S. state of Michigan. The community is at the mouth of White Rock Creek on the shore of Lake Huron. The community is at 43°42′35″N ...

                                               

History of St. Cloud Hospital

The history of St. Cloud Hospital is the succession of events and hospitals that led to the creation of the current St. Cloud Hospital in St. Cloud, Minnesota, United States.

                                               

Bainbridge County, Mississippi

Bainbridge County, Mississippi, was formed by an act of the Mississippi General Assembly dated January 17, 1823 from the western two-thirds of the original Covington County, Mississippi. Its area was almost identical to the modern limits of Covin ...

                                               

Colonial history of Missouri

The Colonial history of Missouri covers the French and Spanish exploration and colonization: 1673–1803, and ends with the American takeover through the Louisiana Purchase

                                               

Agaricocrinus americanus

Agaricocrinus americanus, the mushroom crinoid, is a species of extinct crinoid, known only from its fossils, which are found in the U.S. states of Indiana, Tennessee and Kentucky. They date back to the Lower Mississippian, about 345 million year ...

                                               

Get Missouri Out Of The Mud

                                               

Peg Meyers Melody Kings

The Peg Meyer’s Melody Kings were a late 1910s through early 1920s Missouri swing band. The group got its start in 1919 during lunch in the high school gym Cabo, in Cape Girardeau, mo. The group was originally called the agony four. It consisted ...

                                               

Camp Devin

Camp Devin was a temporary United States Army camp established on June 30, 1878 during the building of the Fort Keogh-Deadwood Telegraph Line. It was named for Brevet Major General Thomas C. Devin, and abandoned in late 1878.

                                               

Camp Merritt (Montana)

Camp Merritt was a United States army camp established in December, 1891 at the Northern Cheyenne Agency. It was named for Brevet Major General Wesley Merritt, and abandoned in 1899.

                                               

Early Indian treaty territories in Montana

A number of different Native Americans living in present-day Montana entered into treaties with the United States during the 19th Century. Most of the treaties included an article that established the territory of the tribe entering into it. More ...

                                               

Fort Carroll (Montana)

Fort Carroll, also Carroll Landing Post was a trading post and steamboat landing established in 1874 on the Missouri River in present-day Fergus County, Montana. Garrisoned by 7th U.S. Infantry in the summers of 1874 and 1875, the town of Carroll ...

                                               

Fort Howes

Fort Howes was a civilian redoubt established in 1897 in what was then Custer County, Montana, United States in response to the murder of a sheepherder. Today the site is within Custer National Forest and is occupied by a Bureau of Land Managemen ...

                                               

Grant Marsh

Grant Marsh was a riverboat pilot and captain who was noted for his many piloting exploits on the upper Missouri River and the Yellowstone River in Montana from 1862 until 1882. He served on more than 22 vessels in his long career. He started his ...

                                               

Swan Valley Massacre of 1908

The Swan Valley Massacre was an incident in 1908 in which four Pend dOreilles Indians, members of an eight-person hunting party, were killed by a state game warden and his deputy in the Swan Valley in northwestern Montana. The state of Montana di ...

                                               

Fort Robinson massacre

The Fort Robinson tragedy refers to a series of events which occurred during the winter of 1878-1879 at Fort Robinson in northwestern Nebraska. After having been forced to relocate south to the Darlington Agency in the Southern Cheyenne Reservati ...

                                               

Gering Courier

Established by Asa B. Wood in 1887 as a Republican weekly, the Gering Courier was the first paper in Gering. In April 1999, Carol and Jack Lewis have sold courier Robert van Vleets excellence in publication, Inc. install which owned the Sydney da ...

                                               

North Platte Canteen

The North Platte Canteen was a railroad stop manned by local citizens of North Platte, Nebraska, United States that operated from Christmas Day 1941 to April 1, 1946. Its purpose was to provide refreshments and hospitality to soldiers who were tr ...

                                               

Goodsprings Cemetery (Nevada)

The Goodsprings Cemetery consists of 1.33 acres and is an old, continuing cemetery located southwest of Las Vegas, Nevada seven miles from Jean and just before entering the town of Goodsprings.

                                               

History of Las Vegas

This history of Las Vegas covers both the city of Las Vegas, Nevada and the Las Vegas Valley. The name Las Vegas was given to the city in 1829, Rafael Rivera, a member of the Spanish Explorer Antonio Armijo Trading party that went to Los Angeles, ...

                                               

List of covered bridges in New Hampshire

This is a list of New Hampshire covered bridges, old, new, and restored. There are fifty-five historic wooden covered bridges currently standing in the U.S. state of New Hampshire. The Chester Covered Bridge is the newest official bridge, #55.

                                               

Defunct placenames of New Hampshire

Defunct placenames are those no longer used officially. Many towns in new Hampshire once prospered and are now not absorbed by adjacent cities or renamed. Similarly, many geographical features were changed over time. This is an alphabetical list ...

                                               

Hartshorn Memorial Cannon

The Hartshorn Memorial Cannon is a decommissioned American Civil War naval cannon that forms the centerpiece of the South Lyndeborough Village Common in Lyndeborough, New Hampshire. The cannon is named for John Alonzo Hartshorn, the towns second ...

                                               

Lafayette Artillery Company

The Lafayette Artillery Company was founded in Peterborough, New Hampshire, in 1804 as the Artillery Company of the 22nd Regiment. It was part of the State of New Hampshires artillery system, a forerunner to the National Guard. The group has cont ...

                                               

Camp Merritt, New Jersey

Camp Merritt was a military base in Dumont and Cresskill, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, that was activated for use in World War I. It had a capacity for 38.000 transient troops and was one of three camps directly under the control ...

                                               

Shippen Street (Weehawken)

Shippen Street is an east-west street in Weehawken, New Jersey. The eastern terminal, a cobblestone double hairpin turn is listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places. Shippen Street was developed at the start of the 20th century as part ...

                                               

White Oaks, New Mexico

White Oaks was once a ghost town in Lincoln County, New Mexico, United States. Located on the outskirts of the Lincoln National Forest, it became a boomtown in 1879 following the discovery of gold and coal in the nearby Jicarilla Mountains.

                                               

Ebenezer Colonies

The Ebenezer Colonies consisted of settlements of Inspirationists in what is now the town of West Seneca near the city of Buffalo in western New York State. The Inspirationists migrated here from Germany in 1843. In 1855, they began to leave for ...

                                               

Garden City Hotel

The Garden City Hotel is a hotel in Garden City, New York. The first incarnation was built in 1874 by A.T. Stewart and the current fourth incarnation was built in 1983 by the late Myron Nelkin. It is famous for having hosted many world leaders an ...

                                               

Ralph Hunt (colonist)

Ralph Hunt was an early colonist in Long Island, New York. He was said to be born in London, England in 1613. The first record of him was when he arrived to Long Island in 1652 with a boat of Englishmen. He was an early leader in Middleburgh, whe ...

                                               

Kayaderossera patent

The Kayaderossera Patent was a grant of land made by Anne, Queen of Great Britain in 1701 to thirteen subjects. The patent included 406.000 acres comprising most of what is now Saratoga County and parts of Montgomery, Schenectady, and Fulton Coun ...

                                               

Seneca Turnpike

The Seneca Road Company was formed to improve the main road running west from Utica, New York, the Genesee Road, from Utica to Canandaigua and operate it as a toll road or turnpike. The road was originally laid out in 1794 from Baggs Square in do ...

                                               

Twenty Townships

The Twenty Townships are an area in central New York than now is largely a part of Madison and Chenango counties. The area was also known as Clintons Purchase, for the sale by the Oneida Nation to New York in 1788 was made under Governor George C ...

                                               

Hunting Quarters

Hunting Quarters is the original name for the area of eastern North Carolina in Carteret County currently known as the towns of Sea Level and Atlantic. The region, originally settled by an English family in the early 18th century, was named Hunti ...

                                               

Buckeye Station

Buckeye Station was built in 1797 by General Nathaniel Massie, a surveyor and early Ohio settler, who lived there for a brief time. It is located just east of Manchester, Ohio, in the uplands overlooking the Ohio River. Massie founded several tow ...

                                               

Chillicothe Junto

The Chillicothe Junto was a term applied to a group of Chillicothe, Ohio Democratic-Republican politicians who brought about the admission of Ohio as a state and largely controlled its politics for some years thereafter. The best known were Thoma ...

                                               

College Township

The "College Township" was the full survey township located in the northwest corner of Butler County, Ohio, now corresponding to the civil township of Oxford, designated by the Ohio General Assembly to be the site of the state university now call ...

                                               

Conflicts with Ohio participation

Ohio has been involved in regional, national, and global conflicts since statehood. As a result of the global conflicts, the American Veterans of Foreign Service was established in 1899 in Columbus, ultimately becoming known as the Veterans of Fo ...

                                               

Floraville Historic District

Floraville is one of four historic districts in Lebanon, Ohio listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is roughly bounded by Keever St. to the west, Cincinnati Ave. to the north, East St. to the east, and Orchard Ave. to the south. ...

                                               

Grand Pacific Junction

The Grand Pacific Junction is a historical district in Olmsted Falls, Ohio. It holds several historical buildings dating back to the mid-1800s, such as the Grand Pacific Hotel. Clint Williams had a very large role in the restoration process for t ...

                                               

Historic Ohio Canals

Following is a list of historic canals that were once used for transportation in Ohio. Sandy and Beaver Canal. Ohio and Erie Canal. Walhonding Canal. (Walhonding Канал) Pennsylvania and Ohio Canal. Miami and Erie Canal. Wabash and Erie Canal. Hoc ...